Are you craving a mouthwatering dish that combines the flavors of savory grilled chicken and sweet teriyaki sauce? Look no further! The best grilled teriyaki chicken recipe awaits you at Panda Express. This popular fast-food chain is known for its delicious Asian-inspired dishes, and their grilled teriyaki chicken is no exception. With tender, juicy chicken marinated in a delectable teriyaki sauce and charred to perfection, this dish is a true crowd-pleaser. Whether you’re looking to recreate your favorite Panda Express meal at home or simply want to try a new and exciting recipe, this is the perfect choice for you. So, grab your apron and get ready to impress your taste buds with this irresistible grilled teriyaki chicken recipe that will transport you to flavor paradise.
Everything You Need to Know about Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Panda Express Recipe
Welcome to the world of irresistible grilled teriyaki chicken! Panda Express has perfected this dish, and now you can learn all the secrets to recreate it at home. From marinating the chicken to perfecting the grilling technique and creating the authentic Panda Express flavors, we’ll guide you through every step of the process.
Secrets to Marinating the Chicken
The key to a delicious grilled teriyaki chicken lies in the marination process. The flavors need to infuse into the meat, creating a juicy and tender texture. Panda Express has their own secret marinade that makes their chicken so addictive.
To recreate the flavors of Panda Express at home, you’ll need a combination of soy sauce, pineapple juice, garlic, ginger, and brown sugar. These ingredients form the base of the marinade, giving the chicken its signature sweet and savory taste.
One important tip for marinating the chicken is to allow it to marinate for at least 2 hours, but overnight is even better. This gives the flavors enough time to penetrate the meat, resulting in a more flavorful dish.
Perfecting the Grilling Technique
Grilling the chicken is the next crucial step in achieving that Panda Express perfection. The goal is to achieve a beautifully charred exterior while keeping the inside juicy and tender.
Start by preheating your grill to medium-high heat. This ensures that the chicken cooks evenly and prevents it from drying out. Use some cooking oil or non-stick spray to prevent sticking and help create those coveted grill marks.
Place the marinated chicken on the grill and let it cook for about 6-8 minutes on each side, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Keep a close eye on it to prevent burning, and use a meat thermometer to ensure it’s cooked through.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing. This allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in a more flavorful and tender final product.
Creating the Authentic Panda Express Flavors
Lastly, let’s talk about achieving those irresistible Panda Express flavors. While the marinade plays a significant role, there are a few additional steps you can take to enhance the taste even further.
One technique used by Panda Express is basting the chicken with the marinade while it’s grilling. This adds an extra layer of flavor and keeps the chicken moist. Simply brush the marinade onto the chicken during the last few minutes of grilling.
Another tip is to serve the grilled teriyaki chicken with a side of steamed rice and grilled pineapple. This combination enhances the overall flavor profile and provides a complete Panda Express experience.
Now that you know all the secrets to making the best grilled teriyaki chicken, it’s time to fire up the grill and get cooking. Impress your family and friends with this Panda Express-inspired dish, and enjoy the mouthwatering flavors that will transport you to your favorite Chinese restaurant.
The Story behind Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
Unveiling the history and inspiration behind the creation of Panda Express’ beloved grilled teriyaki chicken recipe is like stepping into a culinary journey that combines tradition, innovation, and a touch of secrecy. This iconic dish has captivated the taste buds of millions with its irresistible flavors and mouthwatering aroma.
From Humble Beginnings to Iconic Dish
The story of Panda Express’ grilled teriyaki chicken dates back to the humble beginnings of the company itself. Founded in 1983 by Andrew Cherng and his father, Master Chef Ming-Tsai Cherng, this American Chinese fast food chain started as a small restaurant in Glendale, California. With a passion for serving delicious and authentic Chinese cuisine, Panda Express soon became a favorite among locals.
Recognizing the growing demand for more diverse flavors, the Cherng family worked tirelessly to create innovative recipes that would cater to a wide range of palates. It was during this time that the grilled teriyaki chicken recipe was born. Inspired by traditional Japanese teriyaki techniques and infused with a unique Panda Express twist, this dish quickly gained popularity.
As the restaurant expanded and more locations opened across the United States, the grilled teriyaki chicken secured its place as one of Panda Express’ most cherished menu items. Over the years, the recipe underwent refinements and enhancements, with the goal of providing customers with an unparalleled dining experience.
Fusion of Asian and American Influences
One of the key factors behind the success of Panda Express’ grilled teriyaki chicken is its ability to seamlessly blend Asian and American culinary influences. The dish combines the flavors of marinated chicken with a rich and glossy teriyaki sauce, resulting in a harmonious fusion that appeals to both Asian and Western palates.
The marinade for the grilled teriyaki chicken is a carefully crafted blend of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and a touch of sweetness. This combination not only enhances the natural flavors of the chicken but also infuses it with the signature teriyaki taste that customers have come to love.
By infusing traditional Asian flavors into a Western-style grilled chicken dish, Panda Express created a cross-cultural culinary delight. The marriage of these two distinct cuisines has allowed the grilled teriyaki chicken to become a staple in households across America, appealing to a diverse range of taste preferences.
The Legend of the Secret Ingredient
Behind every great recipe, there is often a secret ingredient that takes it to the next level. The grilled teriyaki chicken at Panda Express is no exception. While the exact details of this secret ingredient remain closely guarded, its impact on the dish cannot be denied.
Though the identity of the secret ingredient remains a mystery, its presence can be felt with every bite of Panda Express’ grilled teriyaki chicken. It adds a depth of flavor and complexity that elevates the dish to new heights, leaving customers craving more.
The legend of the secret ingredient adds an air of intrigue and excitement to the dining experience at Panda Express. It sparks curiosity and invites customers to indulge in a dish that is unlike any other. This secret element sets the grilled teriyaki chicken apart and adds to its allure as a beloved and iconic recipe.
Ingredients that Make It Stand Out
Discover the unique components that contribute to the mouthwatering flavors of Panda Express’ grilled teriyaki chicken.
The Art of Selecting Premium Chicken
When it comes to creating the perfect grilled teriyaki chicken, the quality of the main ingredient cannot be overstated. Panda Express takes pride in sourcing premium chicken for their recipe.
Using only the finest cuts of chicken ensures that each bite is tender, juicy, and full of flavor. The chefs at Panda Express pay special attention to the selection process, choosing chicken that is free from hormones and antibiotics. This commitment to using high-quality ingredients is what sets their grilled teriyaki chicken apart from others.
Not only do they select premium chicken, but they also take care in how it is prepared. The chicken is marinated to perfection, allowing the flavors to penetrate every piece. This results in a mouthwatering taste experience that keeps customers coming back for more.
The Key Components of the Teriyaki Marinade
The teriyaki marinade is an essential element in achieving the distinct flavors of Panda Express’ grilled teriyaki chicken.
The marinade is a delicate balance of sweet and savory flavors. It starts with soy sauce, which provides a rich umami taste. To add a touch of sweetness, brown sugar is added, caramelizing the chicken as it grills. The marinade also includes ginger and garlic, which contribute to the complexity of flavors.
One key component that sets Panda Express’ teriyaki marinade apart is the addition of pineapple juice. This unexpected ingredient adds a subtle tangy sweetness that perfectly complements the savory flavors. It also helps to tenderize the chicken, resulting in a moist and flavorful dish.
The Secret Ingredient that Sets It Apart
While the premium chicken and the teriyaki marinade are crucial to the success of Panda Express’ grilled teriyaki chicken, there is one secret ingredient that takes it to another level.
This secret ingredient is honey, which is used in the marinade to add a touch of natural sweetness. The honey not only enhances the flavors but also gives the chicken a beautiful caramelized glaze as it cooks on the grill.
The addition of honey brings a depth of flavor that elevates the teriyaki chicken to new heights. It creates a perfect balance between sweet and savory, making each bite a delight for the taste buds.
In conclusion, the grilled teriyaki chicken at Panda Express stands apart from the rest due to their meticulous selection of premium chicken, the key components of their teriyaki marinade, and their secret ingredient, honey. These ingredients work together to create a dish that is bursting with flavor and keeps customers coming back for more. ️
Mastering the Grilling Process
You love the taste of juicy and flavorful teriyaki chicken, but mastering the grilling process may seem daunting. However, with the right techniques and a bit of practice, you can achieve perfectly grilled teriyaki chicken every time. This article will guide you through the step-by-step process, from prepping the grill and chicken to ensuring safe and proper cooking.
Prepping the Grill and Chicken
Before you start grilling, it’s important to prepare both the grill and the chicken properly. This ensures that the chicken cooks evenly and retains its delicious flavors.
- Preheat the grill: Start by preheating your grill to medium-high heat. This helps to prevent the chicken from sticking to the grill grates and ensures even cooking.
- Clean the grill grates: Use a grill brush to clean the grates thoroughly. This removes any leftover residues from previous meals and prevents them from sticking to your chicken.
- Marinate the chicken: To enhance the flavor of your teriyaki chicken, marinate it for at least 30 minutes before grilling. You can use a store-bought teriyaki marinade or make your own using soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and brown sugar.
- Oil the grill grates: Prevent sticking by oiling the grill grates lightly. You can use a brush or a paper towel dipped in vegetable oil. Be careful not to use too much oil, as it can cause flare-ups.
Grilling Techniques for Optimal Flavor and Texture
Grilling teriyaki chicken is not just about cooking it; it’s also about achieving that perfect charred exterior and tender interior. Here are some techniques that will help you achieve optimal flavor and texture:
- Sear the chicken: Start by searing the chicken on high heat for a few minutes on each side. This creates a delicious caramelized crust and seals in the juices.
- Indirect grilling: After searing, move the chicken to a cooler part of the grill or reduce the heat to medium-low. This allows the chicken to cook through without burning the exterior.
- Baste with teriyaki sauce: During the last few minutes of grilling, brush the chicken with teriyaki sauce to add a final layer of flavor. Be cautious not to add the sauce too early, as the sugars in the sauce can burn quickly.
- Use a meat thermometer: To ensure that your chicken is cooked to perfection, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. The chicken is considered safe to eat when it reaches 165°F (75°C).
Ensuring Safe and Proper Cooking
Food safety is essential when grilling chicken to avoid any health risks. Follow these tips to ensure safe and proper cooking:
- Avoid cross-contamination: When handling raw chicken, always use separate utensils and cutting boards. This prevents cross-contamination with other ingredients.
- Proper storage: If you’re marinating the chicken in advance, make sure to keep it refrigerated and discard any leftover marinade that has come into contact with raw chicken.
- Thoroughly cook the chicken: To kill any harmful bacteria, make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C). This ensures that it is safe to eat.
- Rest before serving: Allow the grilled chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving. This helps the juices redistribute and ensures a tender and juicy bite.
With these tips and techniques, you can become a master at grilling teriyaki chicken. The key is to practice and fine-tune your skills until you achieve that perfect balance of flavor and texture. So, fire up the grill and enjoy the mouthwatering results of your efforts!
Adding the Finishing Touches
Enhance the flavors and elevate the presentation of your grilled teriyaki chicken dish with these essential tips.
Garnishing and Plating Strategies
When it comes to presenting a dish, garnishing and plating play a crucial role in making it visually appealing. For your grilled teriyaki chicken, you can take it up a notch by incorporating some creative garnishing techniques. Consider these ideas to make your dish stand out:
- Top it off with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds to add a nutty flavor and a pleasing visual texture.
- Garnish with thinly sliced green onions for a pop of freshness and a vibrant touch of green.
- Add a few slices of fresh pineapple or grapes to bring a hint of sweetness and color contrast to the plate.
- Create an appealing arrangement of colorful bell pepper strips or steamed broccoli florets around the chicken to add visual interest. ️
Remember, garnishing not only adds flavor and visual appeal, but it also allows you to showcase your creativity and personal touch.
Pairing Suggestions for a Complete Meal
To create a complete and well-rounded meal with your grilled teriyaki chicken, consider these delicious pairing options:
- Steamed jasmine rice: The fragrant and fluffy jasmine rice serves as a perfect base to soak up the delicious teriyaki sauce.
- Asian slaw: A refreshing and crunchy Asian slaw made with cabbage, carrots, and a tangy dressing complements the savory flavors of the chicken.
- Grilled vegetables: Fire up the grill and toss some zucchini, bell peppers, and mushrooms alongside your chicken for a flavorful and nutritious side dish.
- Miso soup: A warm bowl of miso soup adds a comforting element to the meal and balances the richness of the teriyaki chicken.
Don’t be afraid to mix and match to create your own unique combination. The goal is to have a variety of textures, flavors, and colors on the plate.
Customizing Your Teriyaki Chicken Experience
While the traditional grilled teriyaki chicken recipe is already delicious, you can customize it to suit your taste preferences and dietary restrictions. Here are some ideas:
- Spice it up: If you like a bit of heat, add some red pepper flakes or sriracha sauce to the marinade for a spicy kick.
- Make it tropical: Introduce a tropical twist by marinating the chicken in a blend of pineapple juice, soy sauce, and ginger for a tangy and sweet flavor.
- Go gluten-free: Use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari to make the dish suitable for those with gluten sensitivities.
- Try different proteins: Experiment with different proteins like tofu, shrimp, or beef instead of chicken to create a completely new and exciting dish.
Feel free to get creative and adapt the recipe according to your preferences. The beauty of cooking lies in the ability to personalize and make it your own.
Frequently Asked Questions
Thank you for taking the time to read our article on the grilled teriyaki chicken Panda Express recipe! We hope you found it informative and helpful. If you have any additional questions or need further clarification, please refer to the FAQs below.
|1.||Can I use regular soy sauce instead of low sodium soy sauce?||Yes, you can use regular soy sauce if you don’t have low sodium soy sauce. However, keep in mind that regular soy sauce is saltier, so you may want to reduce the amount used to avoid an overly salty dish.|
|2.||Can I substitute chicken breasts with chicken thighs?||Yes, you can substitute chicken breasts with chicken thighs. Chicken thighs may have more flavor and tenderness, but adjust the cooking time accordingly as thighs may take longer to cook than breasts.|
|3.||Can I prepare the teriyaki sauce in advance?||Yes, you can prepare the teriyaki sauce in advance and store it in the refrigerator. Just make sure to bring it to room temperature before marinating the chicken.|
|4.||How long should I marinate the chicken?||It is recommended to marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to penetrate. For best results, marinate it for 1-2 hours.|
|5.||Can I grill the chicken on a stovetop grill pan?||Yes, you can grill the chicken on a stovetop grill pan if you don’t have an outdoor grill. Make sure to preheat the pan before adding the chicken.|
|6.||What side dishes pair well with grilled teriyaki chicken?||Grilled teriyaki chicken goes well with a variety of side dishes such as steamed rice, stir-fried vegetables, or a refreshing salad. The choice ultimately depends on your personal preferences.|
Thank You for Reading!
We sincerely hope you enjoyed learning how to make the delicious grilled teriyaki chicken Panda Express recipe. Don’t hesitate to bookmark this page or save it in your recipe collection, as the flavorful combination of tender grilled chicken and savory teriyaki sauce is bound to be a favorite in your household. Feel free to visit our website again in the future for more delectable recipes and culinary inspiration. Happy cooking and enjoy your mouthwatering grilled teriyaki chicken!
Jump to Recipe
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Panda Express Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds for garnish
- 2 green onions sliced, for garnish
- In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger. Place the chicken breasts in a ziplock bag and pour the marinade over them. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours for a stronger flavor.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade and discard the remaining marinade. Grill the chicken for about 6-8 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C).
- While the chicken is grilling, prepare the teriyaki sauce. In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Add the remaining marinade to the saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, brush the teriyaki sauce onto both sides of the chicken. Grill for an additional 1-2 minutes per side to caramelize the sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced green onions for garnish.
- Serve the grilled teriyaki chicken hot with steamed rice and your choice of side dishes. Enjoy!